Re: [htdig] Newbie Questions.

Subject: Re: [htdig] Newbie Questions.
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 12:04:33 PST

According to Sphboc@aol.com:
> The "wrapper script" appears to be working, EXCEPT that I haven't found the
> syntax to communicate more than one argument to htsearch. (ie, what do I
> have to say on command line, in place of:
> htsearch.cgi?words=lamps&format=builtin-short
>
> In a url, the "&" separates arguments; what's the comparable syntax on the
> unix command line?

In htsearch 3.1.5, you can use "&" or ";" to separate input parameters, but
all parameters must be given in one query string as a single argument to
htsearch. You must quote the whole query string to avoid having the
shell intercept the "&" or ";".

> If there's an FAQ where this kind of thing is answered, please advise where .

Depends where you're tripping up. If you want to learn more about the
Unix shell, I suggest you pick up a general book on using Unix or Linux.
That would probably tell you what you need to know about characters
that have a special meaning to the shell. You should also read up on
whatever language you're using to write your wrapper script, particularly
its mechanisms for calling other programs, to know how it will parse
things, and whether it will call the shell to deal with your command.
If you want to learn more about the CGI interface, and how CGI input
parameters may be passed via environment variable or command arguments
(and the differences between all 3 of these), I suggest you read up on
CGI programs in your web server's documentation. All of this is beyond
the scope of ht://Dig and its documentation.

If you want to learn more about htsearch in particular, and how it
handles its input parameters, you should begin by reading through
http://www.htdig.org/htsearch.html, and all its subordinate pages on
forms and templates. For all the gory details of how the parameters
are parsed, I don't think we have any in depth documentation right now,
so you may need to have a look at the source code.