Re: [htdig] using Httpd Secure Server

Subject: Re: [htdig] using Httpd Secure Server
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 08:46:28 PST

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Douglas S. Davis wrote:

> Well, I think the biggest problem I am having is the Htaccees is
> screwing up the htDig BIG TIME!!! I haven't got it all figured out
> yet but if someone can detail how htsearch interacts with htAccess, I

This sounds like two separate questions, so I'll attempt to answer both.
1) Indexing: As I think you asked previously, you can use either the
authorization attribute or the -u switch to htdig to index
password-protected pages. In version 3.1.x and older, this only applies
one username/password to indexing.
2) Searching: The htsearch CGI couldn't care less about
password-protection, once it has a database, it's just a bunch of URLs. Of
course to access a given URL, you'll need the password.

I don't think there's anything special about this--if there's some given
situation that's confusing you, it might be easier to walk you through
that.

> would be much appreciated. Also, is there a good site for explaining
> htAccess in more detail??

This depends on your server. The Apache site has quite complete
documentation for all of its options.