Re: [htdig] Indexing Images using external parsers

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing Images using external parsers
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 13:09:34 PST

At 5:04 PM +0000 3/5/00, Rzepa, Henry wrote:
>We noted with interest that htdig V 3.2 does not appear to have any config
>flags for invoking an external image parser (are we correct?)

Yes, this is correct. Actually, the htdig/Images.cc code is
languishing a bit. It has not been cleaned up to use the new
Transport code, so it still doesn't support HTTP/1.1 or any of those
new features.

I don't think it would be too hard to make this code call
ExternalParser on an image if that's the route you're taking.

>We have in fact modified the htdig source code to do this, invoking an
>external parser for the purpose. Not sure yet how it might scale to sites
>containing a very large number of images. It is of course also possible
>to pass the content extracted from a GIF to other parsers for "added"

As Doug said, show us the patches!