Re: [htdig] size of DB question

Subject: Re: [htdig] size of DB question
From: Gilles Detillieux (
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 13:50:44 PST

According to Pat Lennon - Unified Tech:
> I have a small server at my home office. In it I have approx 35 books
> and faqs. Some are in .pdf but most are html. The size of the filesystem
> taken up my the books is approx 525meg. If I were to compile htdig as a
> search engine for my server. By the way its a linux server running
> apache web server on a 486dx4120mhz with only 36 meg ram. How much space
> would the database or bases need to be able to do a search of all books
> for a word or phrase.
> Now that I mention it will lI be wasting my time with a search engine
> on such a old system with little resource. I am the only 1 that will be
> searching ,so many users is not a problem. Any feed back is appreciated
> thanks

I've gotten htdig and htsearch running on a 486 with only 16 MB, but I've
only tested it with a small collection of about a 100 documents totalling
1.5 MB. The index will generally be almost as large as the set of documents
you're indexing, give or take maybe 20%.

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: