Re: [htdig] Mac OS X and locale

Subject: Re: [htdig] Mac OS X and locale
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 10:24:51 PST

According to Volker Riebartsch:
> Eric answered
> I assume that you do have a de_DE directory in /usr/share/locale. Is
> this correct? On my LinuxPPC system, I have the LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE,
> LC_MONETARY, LC_CTIME, and LC_NUMERIC directories that you specified
> above. I do not see these on OS X Server. Since OS X Server is Apple's
> product, they _should_ have the appropriate locale-specific files that
> you need. I am surprised that OS X Server does not ship with a working
> German locale set. I suppose that you could try my Linux files, but I
> doubt that they would work since they are binary files. I imagine that
> they are OS-specific.
>

> Me again: Indeed this files are missing. Where can I obtain the locale
> files I need for Mac OS X or the sources. I found not help until now.

The key file you need is LC_CTYPE, which tells the isalpha() and other
ctype functions what characters are letters, etc. As you're using de_DE
as the locale, the directory to check is /usr/share/locale/de_DE. If the
LC_CTYPE file and all the rest are not there, do you have any other locale
directories that do have these files? (preferably a western European or
North American locale, to use the ISO-8859-1 character set) If you can
find a working locale, give it a try. If you can't, you'll need to get
the locale source files and try to build a working locale on your system,
which may work as long as your C library correctly supports locales. Some
systems are just hopelessly broken though.