Re: [htdig] htdig + window.open

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig + window.open
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 10:07:29 PST

According to Miguel Martinez:
> i'm trying to index some pages on my site, but there are pages that
> are called by javascript:window.open. This pages aren't indexed because
> htdig can't start events of javascript. Any idea?

There probably isn't any indexing tool in existance that follows JavaScript
links, for the reason you noted. Realistically, it would take a full
JavaScript parser in order to be able to figure out all the possible
URLs that the code could generate, something that's way beyond the
means of any search engine. You have 3 options:

- Add "backup" links using plain HTML <a href=...> tags to all the pages
  that could be accessed through JavaScript,
- Add <link> tags to point to all these pages (requires htdig 3.1.3 or
  greater, but then EVERYONE should be running 3.1.5 anyway),
- Compose a list of all the unreachable documents, or write a program to
  do so, and feed that list as part of htdig's start_url attribute.

We really need an FAQ entry for this question.