Re: [htdig] Compiling in templates to save CPU

Subject: Re: [htdig] Compiling in templates to save CPU
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 17:36:38 PST

At 6:16 PM -0500 3/2/00, mikeg wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone knows how I can compile the header and footer
>into htsearch so there doesn't have to be file opens and closes.
>
>I have found the spot for the repeater in htsearch/TemplateList.cc where I
>can replace the html for builtin-long. That gets rid of 1/3 of the file
>operations. I want to get rid of the rest.

You'd probably want to edit htsearch/Display.cc.

>Any other resource-saving recommendations would be useful also.

You'll get much better performance if you put the databases on a RAM
disk. (Of course this means you'll need the RAM to do this...)

You'll also want to be very picky about what fuzzy algorithms you
use. Obviously, the fewer you use, the faster the searches will be.
Finally, you may also wish to set backlink_factor and date_factor to
0 since these entail a speed hit in the 3.1.x code.

Good luck!