Re: [htdig] exclude-urls problem

Subject: Re: [htdig] exclude-urls problem
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 13:56:51 PST

According to Eric Crump:
> Thanks Gilles! Apparently those pesky extra spaces after several of the
> backslashes were the cause of the problem. I woulda never thought of that!

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any Unix-based tool in which a
space after a backslash didn't prevent that backslash from being used
as a continuation character. E.g., in the shell,

echo xxx\<newline>
yyy

would echo "xxx yyy", but

echo xxx\<space><newline>

would echo "xxx ".

In general, the backslash changes the meaning of the character immediately
following it. If the newline character does not immediately follow the
backslash, then you haven't changed its meaning, and in the context of
a configuration file, a newline marks the end of an attribute definition.