Re: [htdig] exclude-urls problem

Subject: Re: [htdig] exclude-urls problem
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 07:52:50 PST

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 9:55 PM -0600 3/1/00, Eric Crump wrote:
> >Can anybody tell me whether something has changed with the exclude_urls
> >procedure? or is there something else I need to do? I've gone through the
> >docs but haven't come up with any clues. Much obliged for any advice!
>
> There shouldn't have been, but of course the config file parsing was
> changed in 3.1.5 so it's not impossible that a bug crept in.

The changes to config file parsing were quite minor. In 3.1.4, I put a
hook in to allow a final line without a newline terminator, and in 3.1.5,
I split the Add() function into two separate functions, Add & AddParsed.
Configuration::Read() now uses AddParsed, which is identical to the old
Add function except for a minor fix for locale parsing. I don't see
any change in the code that would affect parsing of multi-line entries.

> For the config file you posted, I'd actually put all of those
> exclude_url lines into a separate file--it saves typing all of those
> "\" at the end of the lines.
>
> I guess the first thing I'd check in that config file is that there
> isn't whitespace at the end of the lines, after the \ characters. You
> also had the last line ending in a \ but nothing after that. I
> wouldn't suspect this to be a problem, but I'd remove it anyway.

Yes, the line ending in a \ would be a problem if there isn't a blank
line after it. If there's another attribute after this trailing \,
it would get gobbled up. Similarly, if there's a trailing \ on the
line directly above the start of the exclude_urls definition, this
this definition would get absorbed into the previous one. Finally,
the way I read the code, if the very last definition in the file ends
with a trailing \, and there's no line (blank or otherwise) after it,
that whole definition would get tossed out - I'm pretty certain that
the same thing would happen with all versions, 3.1.5 and earlier.

Certainly, as Geoff mentioned, a space after a \ at the end of a line
would pose a problem, as the config parser would assume the definition
ends at that line. (This has not changed from earlier versions.)

If your config file is not absolutely identical to the one you were using
with 3.1.2, then double check all the differences to make sure there
isn't something funny going on with some of them. If you've ruled out
any problems in your config file, then please try the exact same file with
previous versions, going from 3.1.4 to 3.1.3 to 3.1.2, and note at which
version the problem began - that would probably help narrow things down.
(You just need to compile and test htdig/htdig right in place, but keep
htsearch 3.1.5 installed, as for now the problem seems to be limited to
htdig.)