Re: [htdig] serious htdig 3.1.5 problems

Subject: Re: [htdig] serious htdig 3.1.5 problems
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 10:47:08 PST

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> Yes.. the database is definately corupt.. I can at least tell you that much.
> And yes.. I can consistently repeat this.. I deleted the entire db dir, and ran
> rundig again.. and got the exact same message.

I don't know if that's good or bad! I think the first thing I'd suggest is
rebuilding the Berkeley DB with diagnostics turned on. in the htdig source
directory, cd db/dist and run configure --enable-diagnostic; make
then rebuild the htdig programs.

I'm including Loic on this because I haven't done much hands-on database
debugging. I think we want to turn on the database transaction log too,
but I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how to read it.

I had another idea as I was just looking through the Berkeley
documentation. It lets you set a function to be called on a database
error. I think we want to write something like this, even if it's only a
stub to print out the message. But even with a stub, you could set a
breakpoint in gdb and look at the call sequence, etc.

I won't be able to whip up a patch until I get home tonight. Loic (or
anyone), I'm talking about replacing the set_errpfx calls in DB2_db.cc
with set_errcall and adding in a stub.

Sorry I can't be much more help right now,