Re: [htdig] parsing PDF with NT

Subject: Re: [htdig] parsing PDF with NT
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 10:01:36 PST

According to =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Baudet?=:
> I successfully compiled HTDig 3.1.4 with Cygwin-B20.1 under Windows NT 4,

First of all, you may want to upgrade to 3.1.5 for the security fixes.

> and it works great for simple HTML files. But I need to index PDF files and
> Adobe Acroread doesn't provide any parsing function under NT. I also tried
> xPdf package but maybe there is something I didn't understand about the
> configuration file of HTDIG.
> I put the following line in htdig.conf :
>
> external_parsers: application/pdf->plain/text /opt/www/htdig/bin/pdftotext.exe

That should be text/plain, not plain/text. Also, I don't think you can call
pdftotext directly as an external converter, as the arguments won't be right.
You'll probably need a wrapper script. If you have Perl on your NT box,
try contrib/conv_doc.pl.

> I also tried with Aladdin Ghostscript 6.0 and :
>
> pdf_parser: /opt/www/htdig/bin/pdf2ps.bat
>
> where pdf2ps.bat is the script provided with Ghostscript.

No, pdf_parser only works with acroread for Unix/Linux, and it's -toPostScript
option.

> But nothing works ! I'd really like to use xpdf, but there is always a
> syntax error about the PDF input file which is in /tmp, like htdig didn't
> get it correctly and broke it !

Could be because of max_doc_size, but it could also be because pdftotext.exe
doesn't like the arguments it's being fed.

> So, if anybody already had success in indexing PDF under NT, please tell me
> how !!
> Thank you !

I don't use NT, but I've heard that some have successfully used Perl-based
parsers on it.

See also
http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q5.2
http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q4.9