Re: [htdig] suggestion

Subject: Re: [htdig] suggestion
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 08:25:48 PST

According to Rusty Wright:
> When doing a "make install" have it install htsearch in BIN_DIR as
> well as CGIBIN_DIR. That way, when you install a new version of
> htdig, and you install the new version in a different directory than
> the previous version, if for some reason you need to, you can go back
> and recover, test, or use the previous version's htsearch. As it is
> now there's only one copy of it in the CGIBIN_DIR, which gets
> clobbered when you do a "make install", and you have to recompile the
> previous version to get its htsearch.

That's why I always use RPMs for installing htdig! You can always manually
copy htsearch/htsearch from the source tree after compiling, to save the
binaries you want. I don't like the idea of having make install do this
by default, because it would waste space and lead to confusion about where
the binary really ought to be.

BTW, you don't need to continually crosspost to both htdig and htdig3-dev
mailing lists. Just about all the developers are already on both anyway,
so general questions should just go on the htdig mailing list.