Re: [htdig] From a beginner (I hope this is the mailinglist)

From: Joerg Behrens (behrens@noell.de)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 23:57:21 PST

Moritz Esser schrieb:

> Hi all!
>
> I think this message was posted several times ago, but my english isn't
> that good, so I can't find anything on the webpage. (Sorry guys, but it's just
> my english! Not your webpage)
>
> Okay! Here's my question:
>
> I've got a german SuSE Linux 6.3 with the 2.2.13 kernel. I've installed a
> apache web-server (Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) (SuSE/Linux)) and the ht://Dig 3.1.5.
>
> So my problem isn't the installation itself. "configure" "make" and "make
> install" work perfectly, but my apache is installed at the folder /opt/www!
> It's not my fault, it's SuSE. But I don't want to reinstall it all. I
> changed the "CONFIG"file but it doesn't work.
> My apache-folder is "/usr/local/httpd". Within this folder are the
> "htdocs" and the "cgi-bin" directory.
> How do I have to install and configure ht://Dig to use it? (worse sentence
> ;-) )

Congrats, you found the ht://dig mailinglist :)
Before starts with comiling and installing please read the manual first.
Take a look to htdoc/install.html or use the onlineversion.

The first step is to modify the file called "CONFIG". Here are some
changes that are important four you:

for example...
prefix= /opt/www/htdig
CGIBIN_DIR= /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin
IMAGE_DIR= /usr/local/apache/htdocs/htdig
SEARCH_DIR= /usr/local/apache/htdocs/htdig

With SUSE defaults you must change /usr/local/apache to
/usr/local/httpd.

Be sure that you *SAFE* this file and than make, make install. I
remember that i have some trouble with this too because that looks like
that i forgot to save the file...

When something goes wrong , why you dont copy your
/somewhere/cgi-bin/htsearch to your /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/cgi-bin/
directory?

After the installation its time to modify the
/opt/www/htdig/conf/htdig.conf. On http://www.htdig.org/contrib/ you
found the a "wordlist" for the german "endings" search algorithm.

I`ll use the german SUSE6.3 too, but i install the Apache by my self but
i use the default path. I think is it a good time to rebuild the apache
webserver at your system! The 1.3.12 version is the newest and you can
download it from www.apache.org . When you're interessting in i can send
you a manual(in german) how to install the apache webserver (with
php3,SSL).

tia
Joerg Behrens

ps: schoene gruesse nach Koeln! :) Du kannst auch eine PM(oder ruf an)
direkt schreiben an mich, dann muss man sich nicht so mit der Sprache
quaelen.

--
Key fingerprint =  92 7D E0 A6 CF AE EC 32  14 28 EF 0D 57 2A 88 5B