Re: [htdig] website indexer and local file indexer

Subject: Re: [htdig] website indexer and local file indexer
From: Geoff Hutchison (
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 07:04:43 PST

At 1:15 AM -0500 2/27/00, David McMahon wrote:
>I would like the be able to just specify a
>directory and have it recurse through looking
>at every valid file type and index it. I don't see
>that this is possible with htdig. Is this the case?

This is correct. Ht://Dig follows links through documents, so unless
you have some sort of directory index, it won't be able to do this.
Of course, you can write a simple script and either use that as an
index, or simply as a setting for your start_url setting.

The 3.2 branch of the code currently supports file:// URLs and it has
been suggested that this code could generate a list of files for
directory URLs, but no one has stepped forward to implement this
feature. Help is, of course, always welcome.