[htdig] FreeBSD port update to 3.1.5

Subject: [htdig] FreeBSD port update to 3.1.5
From: Doug Barton (DougB@simplenet.com)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 15:58:41 PST

Howdy folks,

        Due to the importance of the 3.1.5 upgrade I've gone ahead and updated
the FreeBSD port. I've submitted the patch in the URL below to the port
maintainer and it should be updated soon. Meanwhile, you can get the
patch at
http://freebsd.simplenet.com/htdig-FreeBSD-port-3_1_3-3_1_5.patch

        To update your port with this patch you should update your ports
collection to the latest via whatever method you use (cvs, cvsup, etc.)
Then cd to /usr/ports/textproc/htdig and execute the following command.

patch < <path>/htdig-FreeBSD-port-3_1_3-3_1_5.patch

where <path> should be replaced by the actual path where you downloaded
the patch. After you patch your port you should be able to build it and
install it as you normally do. Before you deinstall the previous port
make sure to back up your htdig.conf file.

        I have made one small improvement to the port that the htDig developers
might be interested in. The way the htDig Makefile currently works it
installs a new htdig.conf file if one does not exist in the $(CONFDIR)
directory. On one hand it's good that the default htDig install doesn't
nuke an existing conf file. On the other though, users might be
interested in seeing changes/updates/etc. to the new conf file. My
change installs htdig.conf.sample instead, and prevents the FreeBSD port
from deleting the htdig.conf file if you choose to deinstall or
pkg_delete it.

        I've also created a package, available at
http://freebsd.simplenet.com/htdig-3.1.5.tgz. This package was compiled
on a Pentium 90 system running a recently updated (2/19) FreeBSD
3.4-Stable system. If you are using an older system I can't guarantee
that it will work for you.

        For those that aren't aware, the FreeBSD ports/packages system is
similar to the Linux RPM system. A port is similar to a source RPM, and
a package is similar to a Linux binary RPM or a Solaris package.

        Disclaimer: I am not a representative of FreeBSD, and I provide all of
the above with no warantee whatsoever. If you use any of the above it is
at your own risk. I encourage you to carefully examine any software you
download from the internet.

Enjoy,

Doug

--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

- Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"