Re: [htdig] [ANNOUNCE] Release of ht://Dig version 3.1.5

Subject: Re: [htdig] [ANNOUNCE] Release of ht://Dig version 3.1.5
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 13:08:47 PST

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Fanac Webmaster wrote:

> I just finished installing 3.1.4, in fact it is not yet on-line on my site, so
> I would prefer to not have to go through the whole process all over again to
> upgrade to 3.1.5 if I don't have to. Unfortunately I'm a newbe to the wondrous
> world of Linux/Unix and I don't have the foggiest notion as to how to go about
> utilizing the patch from 3.1.4 mentioned above. Any help will be gratefully
> accepted.

Patches are source-code changes. They make it easy to upgrade if you still
have the previous version's source around (and are usually much smaller).
You'll still have to do some changing.

To use a patch, download it and do something like this:

gunzip patch.gz
cd htdig-3.1.4
patch -p 1 <../patch.gz

At this point, the source code is the same as that of 3.1.5. Tehn you'll
have to recompile (and install):

make
make install

The make install usually replaces binaries, but not modified files (like
config files).