Re: [htdig] libstdc++, cannot find, but I have it

Subject: Re: [htdig] libstdc++, cannot find, but I have it
From: Jim Cole (
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 03:13:26 PST

Brian Lavender's bits of Thu, 24 Feb 2000 translated to:

>I am trying to compile htdig 3.2.0b.
>I believe I have the libstdc++ on my system, but it appears that make
>cannot open it. I am using debian GNU/Linux. I went into dselect and
>it appears that libstdc++ is installed. Below is the error I get. What
>should I look for?

Start by checking that the library itself is *really* installed. It is
generally located in /usr/lib, sometimes in /usr/local/lib. If you don't
find it in any of the typical places, try something like...

find / -name "libstdc*" -print (as root)

If it does turn up somewhere, make sure the path to its directory is
included in /etc/ If the path is not in that file, add it
and run /sbin/ldconfig. The paths in /etc/ are considered
to be trusted paths, so if the library is in some really strange place
that is not owned by root, you might want to reconsider this advice ;)

You should also check that there is a symlink from to
the true library file.