Re: [htdig] Not indexing a word

Subject: Re: [htdig] Not indexing a word
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 06:17:54 PST

At 12:31 PM +0000 2/23/00, Malcolm Austen wrote:
>+ I'm afraid you can't say "index this word," though that's not a bad
>+ idea (a "good words" list?)
>
>OK, let's ask for the sky ... how about (at some far distant point) a
>"good phrases" list please?
>
>The context of this request is that I don't want to index all instances of
>"it" but I would like to index "IT" in the context of "IT Committee" 8-)

Yes, this would be nice, wouldn't it. Adding a "good words" list
isn't so bad--you check it quickly before tossing the word. The
difficulty of your request is that it would change the way documents
are parsed--right now they're split up into words, so you'd have to
say "wait, we just saw 'committee,' did we have 'IT' just then?" You
could still do it, but it would be a bit more complex.

That's not to say I'm not filing it in my "ideas" box...

Cheers,