Re: [htdig] Indexing SVG/XML schemas in general

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing SVG/XML schemas in general
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 14:15:07 PST

At 9:10 AM +0000 2/21/00, Rzepa, Henry wrote:
>May I also ask the developers what their long term plans are
>to allow htdig to define schemas for external files in XML?
>It might make sense for example to implement the XHTML
>schema into htdig? I presume that is a gargantuan task
>however!

The database format introduced in 3.2 allows ht://Dig to associate a
number of "flags" with each word. In HTML, these are currently
associated with the various factors that we've always had--for
example one flag is for <TITLE></TITLE> tags, etc. Last I checked, I
think we reserved 8 flags, though I could be mistaken.

The idea for applying this to XML is that there are non-reserved
flags. So the XML parser would use the DTD to associate various flags
with the contexts. The big snag is that no one has proposed how to
associate the DTD back to the document itself. (After all, at some
point, we'll just have the word with a few flags set, but we need
some way of "remembering" which flags have meaning.)

I really haven't thought about it. Right now I have my plate full and
I'm trying to finish up my graduate classes. Come mid-March, I'll
have more time since I'll be done with classes. In the meantime, I'd
love to see some suggestions.