Re: [htdig] Problems setting up a Cron daemon

Subject: Re: [htdig] Problems setting up a Cron daemon
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 08:11:07 PST

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, ATLE VEKA wrote:

> Hi, I'm having problems getting my cron daemon to automate the update
> of the htdig database. Simply running the 'rundig' at the console
> works fine, but when I tried putting it as a cron job with the same
> command I got the following message from the cron daemon:
>
> DB2 problem...: /opt/www/htdig/db/db.words.db: No such file or directory
> htmerge: Unable to create/open the word database '/opt/www/htdig/db/db.words.db'
>
> Any suggestions? Also, I am a little confused as whether to use
> 'rundig' or just 'htdig'. Is rundig necessary if you don't need to run
> 'htfuzzy' and 'htmerge' ? btw: running RedHat 6.1 on a 486.

If you hadn't mentioned RedHat 6.1, I'd refer you to the FAQ. There were
problems with the cron daemon in previous releases that messed around with
the environment passed to cron jobs. But you're also seeing a different
problem.

First off, you always need to run htmerge after htdig--this is what
actually assembles the databases for the htsearch CGI.

Secondly, you don't mention the user that's running the cron job--you
probably have permission problems. After all, htmerge is the program that
generates db.words.db and it's having trouble creating that file.