[htdig] Indexing SVG/XML schemas in general

Subject: [htdig] Indexing SVG/XML schemas in general
From: Rzepa, Henry (h.rzepa@ic.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 01:10:49 PST

It seems the use of SVG (scalable vector graphics) as an alternative
to GIF, PNG and JPEG images (for which by the way we have
an external parser which we are currently testing) is gathering
momentum.

SVG is of course XML, and can be indexed using standard XML
parsers. Can I ask if anyone is using htdig with such an external
parser? If so, which one?

May I also ask the developers what their long term plans are
to allow htdig to define schemas for external files in XML?
It might make sense for example to implement the XHTML
schema into htdig? I presume that is a gargantuan task
however!

With a schema (much like IE 5.0/5.5 also allows an XML
document to be validated against a defined schema) one can
parse internally, rather than invoking external parsers. The
Apache XML initiative is producing some wonderful generic
XML tools, and one wonders whether htdig could make use
of any of them.

Henry Rzepa. +44 (0)20 7594 5774 (Office) +44 (0)20 7594 5804 (Fax)
Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7 2AY, UK.
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/