Re: [htdig] Indexing Single Letters

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing Single Letters
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 09:34:37 PST

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Richey, Ross wrote:

> My impression, and this may be incoorect is that htdig will not index single
> letters I'm sure there is a very good reason for this, but the business I
> work for uses roman numerals in some of their content for example V and X is
> there some way I can tell htdig to index these two letters or to tell it to
> index single letters?

By default, the ht://Dig components will ignore words under 3 letters. The
primary reason is that most words this short do not carry much
information.

You can set this through minimum_word_length:
<http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#minimum_word_length>

BTW, if you set it lower than 3, I highly suggest adding a lot of common
short words to the bad_words file so that they're still ignored.