Re: [htdig] Virtual Host Problems

Subject: Re: [htdig] Virtual Host Problems
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 18:44:08 PST

At 10:48 AM -0900 2/15/00, Bruce Potter wrote:
>I'm having a problem getting htdig to index all the sites correctly. I've
>found very little documentation on how to handle virtuals, both from the
>config angle as well as cgi implementation area.

This is because there isn't much to it.

>start_url: http://www.domain1.com/
>limit_urls_to: ${start_url}
>
>... and the rest of the other non relevant stuff...
>This seems to only index the main server, not the domain2.com domain3.com
>that are linked from domain1.com. I've also tried doing a

This is doing exactly what you told it to do--limit_urls_to is
exactly what it says--the limit of the indexing. So it's currently
set to only index www.domain1.com.

>but it only seems to return hits from the domain2.com index... nothing
>from the domain1.com at all. Can someone send me their htdig.conf where

You probably indexed both. But that doesn't mean both are going to
have the same weightings on searches. But if you're truly worried
about whether you indexed them both, you can add a '-v' (or more if
you like) when calling htdig and you'll see what pages are indexed.

>do I need to set the restrict value to include the name of the virtual
>server?

Yup. The restrict field in the HTML form justs makes sure the URLs
match that particular pattern. So if you want to ensure it matches
the *server* as well as the path, you'll need to include the
beginning part of the URL.