Re: [htdig] Searching Subdirectories

Subject: Re: [htdig] Searching Subdirectories
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 09:39:28 PST

According to Richey, Ross:
> I'd like to set up a search page using htdig where it offers the user a pull
> down menu where they can choose to either search the entire site or search
> one of two sub sections of the site. So I assume I would need either three
> copies of htsearch to run with three seperate config files. But in this
> case I'm having a hard time finding any documentation on how to pass
> information from the form to the server to tell it which copy to use.
> Alternatively I would think that you could have one copy of htsearch and I
> could pass it that on the sub section instead of searching www.abc.com I
> could have it only search for results in www.abc.com/sub/

You can set up a pull down menu, using a <select>...</select> construct,
for the "config" input parameter. In the default search.html, this is
set as a hidden input parameter. This would allow you to search different
databases, by selecting the config files for them. You don't need, and
don't want, to install multiple copies of htsearch to do this.

If instead of searching different databases, you want all searches on the
same database, but with restrictions or exclusions of certain directories,
use the "restrict" or "exclude" input parameters. These too are set using
hidden input parameters in the default search.html, but can be changed to
select lists.