[htdig] Virtual Host Problems

Subject: [htdig] Virtual Host Problems
From: Bruce Potter (gdead@fortnocs.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 11:48:18 PST

Howdy,
I've searched through the archives of the list and haven't found anything
that answers my question, so I figured I'd post it.

I'm running htdig 3.1.4 on FreeBSD 3.1 with apache 1.3. I'm using Named
based (soft) virtual servers. I've got 1.5 GB of text data that needs
to be searchable. I'd like htdig to index the main site and the virtuals.

I'm having a problem getting htdig to index all the sites correctly. I've
found very little documentation on how to handle virtuals, both from the
config angle as well as cgi implementation area.

In my config file, I have
allow_virtual_hosts: true
start_url: http://www.domain1.com/
limit_urls_to: ${start_url}

... and the rest of the other non relevant stuff...
This seems to only index the main server, not the domain2.com domain3.com
that are linked from domain1.com. I've also tried doing a

start_url: http://www.domain1.com/ http://www.domain2.com/

but it only seems to return hits from the domain2.com index... nothing
from the domain1.com at all. Can someone send me their htdig.conf where
they're indexing soft virtuals? Could it have something to do with the
size of my dataset?

I was also wondering how to reference the cgi program. I'm using a shared
cgi-bin directory for all the virtuals. If I want to restrict the
scope of the search to a directory on one of the virtuals, do I need to do
anything other than:

<FORM method=get ACTION="/cgi-bin/htsearch">
Search:<select name=restrict>
<option selected=true value="/mail/macosx-admin">Just MacOSX Admin
archives</option>
<option value="/">All of MacSecurity.org</option>
</select>
<INPUT NAME=words size=12></font>&nbsp;<INPUT TYPE=submit VALUE=Search>

do I need to set the restrict value to include the name of the virtual
server?

thanks for your time

later

bruce