Re: [htdig] excluding, but only in searching

Subject: Re: [htdig] excluding, but only in searching
From: Kirby Vandivort (kvandivo@ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 12:25:41 PST

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 05:42:12PM -0600, Geoff Hutchison wrote:
> At 4:58 PM -0600 2/10/00, Kirby Vandivort wrote:
> >Ideally, we would have two config files, and exclude our private
> >directory in one of them, and have the offsite search form use this
> >config file. The onsite search form could specify a different config
> >file that doesn't have the same exclusion.
>
> I think you can do this, but I haven't tried it. The htsearch code
> adds in the fields of the search form to the config file. So I
> imagine if you didn't have an exclude field, but had an exclude
> attribute in your config file, it would work. Note that it wouldn't
> be enough to have an *empty* exclude field, you'd need to have it be
> completely absent. This would carry through to the search forms on
> the results pages too--you'd need to delete those.

From what I can gather from testing, if I add an 'exclude' to the
config file..

The exclude doesn't affect the initial search from 'search.html', but
it DOES insert the 'exclude' hidden variable in the results that it
prints. So, it appears that htsearch is getting variables from the
config file to use in printing the output results, but it is not
actually applying them to the search itself.

I removed the 'exclude' hidden variable from 'search.html', but I left
in the 'restrict' variable. Is it possible that if I remove the
restrict one also that 'htsearch' will look at that "bundle" (exclude
and restrict) as being something it needs to apply from the config
file?

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

--

Kirby Vandivort Theoretical Biophysics Group Email: kvandivo@ks.uiuc.edu 3051 Beckman Institute http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~kvandivo/ University of Illinois Phone: (217) 244-5711 405 N. Mathews Ave Fax : (217) 244-6078 Urbana, IL 61801, USA