Re: AW: [htdig] Adding ability to search databases

Subject: Re: AW: [htdig] Adding ability to search databases
From: Manuel Lemos (mlemos@acm.org)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 07:49:18 PST

Hello AGLW,

On 12-Feb-00 12:53:19, you wrote:

>Geoff and others,
>We are setting up an information system tracking specific resources pointed
>out and presented by partner organisations on their servers. At the moment
>we do have two bigger databases which should be included and therefore I am
>very much interested in further information on how to access thoses
>databases through a script and get the information indexed by htdig.
>According to Geoff Hutchinson:
>>The biggest question is whether you can come up with a URL to attach
>>to the entries--if so, you can either do it now or add it fairly
>>easily. For example, the 3.2 code adds the concept of an external
>>transport handler--a script that will take a URL and spit back a
>>document for htdig to index. So if you have a URL you want to see in
>>the results pages, then you can have a script query your SQL tables.
>Its not quite clear to me how this is to be set up but I would like to 'dig'
>more into it. Is there any additional information available on how to set it
>up. This would be of great value to us!

You can use PHP to query the databases and generate pages with its contents
and the use Ht:/Dig to index the contents of pages.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Web Programming Components using PHP Classes.
Look at: mlemos@acm.org">http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/?user=mlemos@acm.org

--
E-mail: mlemos@acm.org
PGP key: http://www.mlemos.e-na.net/ManuelLemos.pgp