Re: [htdig] Adding ability to search databases

Subject: Re: [htdig] Adding ability to search databases
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 15:38:29 PST

At 1:40 PM +1000 2/11/00, Cameron Just wrote:
>How hard would it be to get HTDig to also trawl thru databases as well?
>ie
>http://www.uq.edu.au/search/

It depends on whether you have something to drive your databse
through a web interface.

>Then our M$ SiteServer search engine (I despise the fact that we had
>to use this product) will trawl thru the webpages and also the
>summary tables in the database.
>When a search is made by a user on the web it is done on all this info.

Obviously ht://Dig will go through all the webpages, but unless your
summary tables are available through the website somehow, it won't
see them.

>Would it be easy to do on HTDig?
>How much would it cost us to get a developer to add this feature to
>the product?(Keeping the GNU of course)

The biggest question is whether you can come up with a URL to attach
to the entries--if so, you can either do it now or add it fairly
easily. For example, the 3.2 code adds the concept of an external
transport handler--a script that will take a URL and spit back a
document for htdig to index. So if you have a URL you want to see in
the results pages, then you can have a script query your SQL tables.