Re: [htdig] excluding, but only in searching

Subject: Re: [htdig] excluding, but only in searching
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 15:42:12 PST

At 4:58 PM -0600 2/10/00, Kirby Vandivort wrote:
>Ideally, we would have two config files, and exclude our private
>directory in one of them, and have the offsite search form use this
>config file. The onsite search form could specify a different config
>file that doesn't have the same exclusion.

I think you can do this, but I haven't tried it. The htsearch code
adds in the fields of the search form to the config file. So I
imagine if you didn't have an exclude field, but had an exclude
attribute in your config file, it would work. Note that it wouldn't
be enough to have an *empty* exclude field, you'd need to have it be
completely absent. This would carry through to the search forms on
the results pages too--you'd need to delete those.

>In addition, is there any way to check the HTTP_REFERER to require that
>a search be started from a particular URL? That would solve problems
>also.

This has been asked before and currently it is not possible. I don't
think it would be a hard thing to add, but I have my hands more than
full.