Re: [htdig] local_user_urls: query

Subject: Re: [htdig] local_user_urls: query
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 06:19:28 PST

At 9:10 AM +0000 2/10/00, D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk wrote:
>I must ask: why does htdig handle local_urls this way?
>
>Doesn't it make more sense, when the attribute is set, to get ALL pages
>locally except when:
>
> the file does not exist
>or
> the file has execution permission set
>or
> the file name ends in .shtm, .shtml and one or two others
> which have special meanings to servers.

Not really. Remember, right now the local_urls code doesn't have any
easy way of figuring out what the MIME-type of a document is. So if
it grabbed everything, unless it was one of a known subset, it
doesn't know if it can parse it.

For example, let's say it runs across a ".doc" file. From the
extension, it's probably a Word file. But sometimes it could be a
WordPerfect file or something else entirely. What about a file ".xyz"
-- what's the MIME for that?

The 3.2 code has support for file:// URLs that figures out the MIME
based on the extension and a mime.types file. Currently this hasn't
been applied to the local_urls code.