Re: [htdig] Star bug

Subject: Re: [htdig] Star bug
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 11:16:58 PST

According to Doug Barton:
> "Bernard T. Higonnet" wrote:
> > I just noticed that if one turns off star ratings for retrieved items
> > with "use_star_image: no" you still get the line "Documents 1 - 2 of 2
> > matches. More [star]'s indicate a better match."
>
> I'm not sure this is a bug. Once you start down the road of customizing
> the appearance of your output, these are the kinds of things that come
> up. Although it would be possible to make that word a variable in the
> template that gets replaced, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.
> If you turn off the star image feature, what would you like the word to
> default to?
>
> only speaking for myself,
>
> Doug

Well, I think you've hit the nail on the head. The whole point of having
templates is so that you can customise things. I think it would be
absurd to expect all your templates to automatically react to any change
in any configuration attribute. It's up to the person who's doing the
configuration to make sure that the configuration file, initial search
form, and all templates are in "sync", so that the results make sense
for your configuration settings.

Generally, we'll add new template variables and configuration attributes
to add customisation capabilities that can't otherwise be done without
modifying the source code, but if all it takes is a simple change to
a template file to make htsearch work with your configuration, then,
as Doug said, it wouldn't be worth the effort (not to mention the added
complexity) to add yet another template variable, and the corresponding
configuration attribute to control it.