Re: [htdig] Still more info on pdf conversion problems.

Subject: Re: [htdig] Still more info on pdf conversion problems.
From: Anthony Peacock (a.peacock@chime.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 10:04:53 PST

Hi,

<SNIP>

> > >That error definitely came from pdftotext. Running conv_doc.pl on the
> > >same PDF will give you the same error message. If you're sure the PDF
> > >file is correct, and pdftotext is in error, then you should report this
> > >to Derek Noonberg, maintainer of the xpdf package. See the xpdf docs for
> > >contact info.
> >
> > Acreoread (3 or 4) and xpdf, have no trouble reading these files.
>
> This is very odd. I'd think that if pdftotext has problems reading a
> file, xpdf would as well. You seem to be suggesting that even pdftotext
> does not consistently give the same error message for the same PDF file.
> Can you definitively confirm this? If so, there may be something wrong
> with your xpdf package - perhaps it wasn't properly built for your system.

Actually xpdf seems to be a little more tolerant of .pdf files that have
problems. When I was investigating some errant .pdf files they would display
without error in xpdf (with glitches) but pdftotext would give an error.

BUT.... my problems did boil down to some bad .pdf files.

---
Fare Thee Well
Anthony Peacock
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that
nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." --Larry Wall