Re: [htdig] Installation on Virtual Server

Subject: Re: [htdig] Installation on Virtual Server
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 14:32:44 PST

According to Boyd G. Morse:
> I am trying to install ht://dig on an aitcom.net virtual server system, and
> have been successful running htdig, and having it create the appropriate
> database files. My problems start when I try to query the database via
> htsearch thru the apache web server. I have successfully run htsearch via
> telnet, so I know that everything else is ok (I think!?). The following is
> the error I receive from apache:
>
> htsearch: error in loading shared libraries
> libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> httpd: [Sun Feb 6 07:39:20 2000] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] Premature
> end of script headers: /www/cgi-bin/htsearch

As the messages say, htsearch can't access the shared library libz.so.1,
which it needs for decompressing the document excerpts. The problem
is most likely because this library is not installed in the standard
location that the loader expects to find shared libraries. It may be
that when running programs from the command line, it finds them because
the directory in which they are found is listed in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable, but this variable doesn't automatically get passed
to CGI programs.

You may have to make sure this variable is set correctly before the
Apache server is run, and add "PassEnv LD_LIBRARY_PATH" to Apache's
httpd.conf file. If you don't have root privileges, you'll have to
either get the cooperation of your sysadmin, or perhaps you can rebuild
your htsearch binary using the -R option to specify the directory in
which the missing libraries are found. You can add this to the LIBDIRS
setting in Makefile.config. This has solved the problem for some users.