Re: [htdig] htmerge error: warning:line too long:ignoring ....

Subject: Re: [htdig] htmerge error: warning:line too long:ignoring ....
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 12:26:11 PST

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 2:45 PM -0500 2/5/00, Sid MacLeod wrote:
> >I have htDig installed on a BSDI3.0 box in a virtual env, and I'm having
> >problem when running htmerge. My rundig script will dig anything I care to,
> >but at one point when it runs htmerge, I get the following error(s):
> >
> >warning:line too long:ignoring home i:0 l:0 w:150000
> > ^^^
>
> This means that the BSDI sort program didn't like the db.wordlist
> file. This isn't good because it means the word database *might* be
> corrupted. (It could be OK, but there's no guarantee what sort spit
> up.) My suggestion would be to get GNU sort, part of the textutils
> package and rebuild the databases.

This sounds like the same old problem with BSD sort using a different
-T option. Changing rundig not to set the TMPDIR environment variable
should fix the problem. This is covered in FAQ 5.9, but I guess the
error message is different than what other htmerge errors give, so Sid
didn't find the relevant entry. Maybe we'll need another FAQ entry.