[htdig] Installation on Virtual Server

Subject: [htdig] Installation on Virtual Server
From: Boyd G. Morse (webmaster@seamlessdesigns.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 10:41:45 PST

Hello,

I am trying to install ht://dig on an aitcom.net virtual server system, and
have been successful running htdig, and having it create the appropriate
database files. My problems start when I try to query the database via
htsearch thru the apache web server. I have successfully run htsearch via
telnet, so I know that everything else is ok (I think!?). The following is
the error I receive from apache:

htsearch: error in loading shared libraries
libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
httpd: [Sun Feb 6 07:39:20 2000] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] Premature
end of script headers: /www/cgi-bin/htsearch

I suspect (I am quite the newbie to linux!) that this is occurring due to
the fact I don't (and can't) have access to root. When I run the makefile I
see that a failed attempt to create various directories occurs. I have
modified the CONFIG file to force them into their appropriate places, and
everything works except via apache.

Is it possible to install ht://dig without root privs? I would greatly
appreciate any input anyone might have on resolving this problem!

Thanks,

Boyd