Re: [htdig] unable to do boolean search for "not searchterm"

Subject: Re: [htdig] unable to do boolean search for "not searchterm"
From: J. op den Brouw (MSQL_User@st.hhs.nl)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 07:10:34 PST

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> At 3:44 AM -0500 2/7/00, Bernard T. Higonnet wrote:
> >I am unable to do a boolean search the definition of which is "not
> >searchterm"
> >
> >It seems to me this is a perfectly reasonable request.
>
> Currently, the meaning of the boolean "not" is something along the
> lines of a "not and."
>
> It's a feature that's been requested before, but seems to have ended
> up on the bottom of the pile. Contributions, of course, are welcome.

You can immitate it a little, it's not fail proof, by doing a search
for

  <a-very-very-very-common-word> not <searchterm>

this is allmost like

        TRUE not <searchterm>

which is

                                 not <searchterm>

--jesse
Haagse Hogeschool 2521 EN DEN HAAG
Sector Techniek Netherlands
Afdeling Elektrotechniek +31 70 4458936

Linux - because reboots are for hardware changes