Re: [htdig] Status?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Status?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 16:44:32 PST

At 9:37 AM -0700 2/5/00, Chris wrote:
>1) How can I tell what the status of the dig is besides the console
>messages in verbose mode?

I usually look at the last-modified time on the databases.

>2) Is it bad if the db.docdb.work has been accessed recently (always
>within the last minute), but the size has not changed in days?

Maybe. When documents are "deleted" from the databases, they don't
actually get smaller--it saves time when the database expands later.
If you don't think this is likely, then it's a bad sign.

>I recently got the following error where XXXX is the number of some page:
>DB2 problem...: /var/lib/htdig/db/db.docdb.work: page XXXX doesn't
>exist

That's not a good thing, but it's usually not the end of the world.
It could be a sign of database corruption.

>I am worried that although the htdig and htmerge programs are taking
>processor time (about 48% each), that due to this error, nothing will ever

Whoa. Do you mean to say you're running them at the same time (on the
same databases)? If so, this is bad. You run htdig first and then
htmerge. Since they both need to write to the databases, they cannot
run simultaneously. I don't know what would happen, but I wouldn't
suggest it.