Re: [htdig] odd little bug in htdig 3.1.4

Subject: Re: [htdig] odd little bug in htdig 3.1.4
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 13:17:59 PST

According to D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk:
> I have found that if a page contains keywords with just a space in the
> contents, like so:

> <head>
> <title>Test</title>
> <META name=keywords content=" ">
> <META name=description content=" ">
> </head>
>
> then the page is indexed ok, but no excerpt is shown by htsearch with
> Format=Long.
>
> Just changing that to:

> <head>
> <title>Test</title>
> <META name=keywords content="">
> <META name=description content="">
> </head>
>
> clears the problem.
>
> How did I find this, and why does it matter?
>
> Well I'm working on an external conversion script which tries to extract
> the keywords and summary from WordPerfect documents. In real life such
> documents often have no summary or keywords and I was using a space as
> the default.
>
> I can work around this, so its no great deal, but the bug may have other
> consequences I havn't found yet.
>
> By the way, my script is based on conv_doc.pl and can be used in its
> place. I hope to send it in when I've finished polishing it.

The <META name=keywords content=" "> tag shouldn't cause any problems,
but the <META name=description content=" "> will be taken as the
document's meta description, even if it contains only a single space.
If you have use_meta_description set to true in your config file for
htsearch, then this 1 character description will override the excerpt
taken from the document body in search results. The meta description
tag should either provide a useful description, or be omitted altogether.