Re: [htdig] indexing mhonarc archives

Subject: Re: [htdig] indexing mhonarc archives
From: Markus Mohr (markus@nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 03:28:11 PST

Hi!

> I realize you sent a follow up to this, but I never quite understood
> the question. We have a ton of mhonarc archives too, and htdig.org
> has a bunch of hypermail archives. But the main index (not to mention
> the date and thread indexes) have essentially a link for every page.
> So I don't see why you'd need max_hops to be 500--one hop from the
> main index would get everything.
>
> Or am I missing something here?
Yes, size. :)

This is a 5-year archive of a medium to high volume mailing list. Its
sorted in 1 year packets to avoid cutting of threads as much as
possible. To keep the index pages small and readable, I set:
<IDXSIZE>
20
</IDXSIZE>
so there are 20 messsages on one page max. I have a total of around 400
index pages per year. So I need 400 hops to reach the last index page
from the main index.
Hmmm...a better idea would be to create an index for the indices. Then I
could set maxhops to 3 or 4. Time to perl! :)

ciao
marksu