Re: [htdig] Alta Vista goes Open source

Subject: Re: [htdig] Alta Vista goes Open source
From: Nathaniel Irons (irons@espresso.hampshire.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 09:01:10 PST

On 2/1/2000 at 8:33 AM, ghutchis@wso.williams.edu (Geoff Hutchison)
wrote:

> I guess we'll wait and see.

The consensus at slashdot[1] seems to be that AltaVista is either:

a) re-launching the same search engine they've made available for
several years under the auspices of a new affiliate program, or

b) attempting to claim that providing end-users with a snippet of HTML
to escort search queries to altavista somehow constitutes "open source".

AltaVista/CMGI's press release, focused entirely on the affiliate
program, seems to confirm the latter:

    "The AltaVista Affiliate Network is leading the expansion of our
    distinctive services throughout the Web, at a global scale," said
    Rod Schrock, president and CEO of AltaVista Company. "This
    program will effectively open source AltaVista Search and
    translation services thereby extending our brand to the Internet
    community."

    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000201/ca_altavis_1.html

Nothing to get out of bed for.

  -nat