Re: [htdig] Error compiling

Subject: Re: [htdig] Error compiling
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 08:47:27 PST

According to Ken Kyler:
> > > I get an error in Configuration.cc about an unterminated string or
> > > character.
> > >
> > > I'm running RedHat 6.1.
> >
> > Sounds to me like the source was modified or corrupted somehow. What
> > version are you trying? I've compiled 3.1.3 successfully on 4.2, 5.0,
> > 6.0 & 6.1, and 3.1.4 (the latest release) on all of these except 6.1,
> > which I haven't tried yet (but the changes are minor between 3.1.4 and
> > 3.1.3, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't work).
> >
> > I'd suggest starting from scratch from a clean source distribution, or
> > using the "glibc21" RPMs from http://www.htdig.org/files/binaries/
>
> I've now tried everything suggested and get the same result. Has anyone
> successfully compiled HTDig on Redhat 6.1?

OK, could you be more explicit about what this "same result" is?
I thought you were talking about an error message from the C++ compiler,
but how can you get a compilation error when installing a binary RPM?

If you're trying to recompile from the source RPM, then perhaps you could
post the output of an "rpm --rebuild htdig-3.1.4-0glibc21.src.rpm".
If you installed htdig-3.1.4-0glibc21.i386.rpm, please indicate the
exact error message(s) you got while installing or running. If you're
building from the source tarball, the output from configure and make
may be informative. At this stage, I don't even know which lines
in Configuration.cc contain the error you've mentioned.

Also, be aware that if you want to compile htdig on any Red Hat system,
you must have not only gcc and glibc (or libc5 for 4.x) installed, but
also a C++ compiler and library. On 6.1, these would be:

egcs-1.1.2-24
glibc-2.1.2-11
glibc-devel-2.1.2-11
egcs-c++-1.1.2-24
libstdc++-2.9.0-24

If you have different version of any of these, or are running on a
non-Intel architecture, please state so, as it may be relevant.
Note that the list above is not that different than what 6.0 has:

glibc-2.1.1-6
glibc-devel-2.1.1-6
egcs-1.1.2-12
egcs-c++-1.1.2-12
libstdc++-2.9.0-12

so I can't imagine why the source would compile on 6.0 but not 6.1, if
you have all of these packages installed. As I said, I HAVE successfully
compiled htdig-3.1.3 on Red Hat 6.1 (Intel architecture, actually AMD K6),
and Configuration.cc has changed very little between 3.1.3 and 3.1.4.
One of the additions has a few lines with the character constant '\''
but if your compiler is choking on those it has a serious bug.