Re: [htdig] Compile errors of FreeBSD 3.3

Subject: Re: [htdig] Compile errors of FreeBSD 3.3
From: Geoff Hutchison (
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 20:14:00 PST

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Doug Barton wrote:

> > /usr/lib/ warning: this program uses gets(), which is unsafe.
> Use of gets() _is_ unsafe, but not the end of the world. When was the
> last time anyone did a security audit of the htdig source? Or is that
> part of the 3.2 series already?

It's been a while, and I don't know of any effort to do such in the 3.2
code. Since I don't think any of the active developers consider themselves
experts on doing code audits, this would be appreciated. Even better would
be an audit and a list of tips (or a URL) for the website at

> Fortunately the upgrade to this port is easy. I did the last
> modifications to the port, and Bill (the maintainer) was kind enough to

I've been a bit curious about this for some time--can we get the
modifications for the port? It seems like with some autoconf work, we can
merge them in. (I'm trying to keep the number of branches down if