Re: [htdig] Compile errors of FreeBSD 3.3

Subject: Re: [htdig] Compile errors of FreeBSD 3.3
From: Doug Barton (DougB@simplenet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 18:57:59 PST

Paul Wolstenholme wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm just compiled HtDig 3.1.4 on FreeBSD 3.3. It appears to have
> compiled but during the make there were a lot of error messages like:
>
> gcc -o db_load db_load.o err.o getlong.o libdb.a -lc_r

        The biggest part of the problem here is the use of -lc_r instead of
-pthread, which is what the patch in the port does for you.

> /usr/lib/libc.so: warning: this program uses gets(), which is unsafe.

        Use of gets() _is_ unsafe, but not the end of the world. When was the
last time anyone did a security audit of the htdig source? Or is that
part of the 3.2 series already?

> /usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING! setkey(3) not present in the system!
> /usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING! des_setkey(3) not present in the system!
> /usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING! encrypt(3) not present in the system!
> /usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING! des_cipher(3) not present in the system!

        These errors look like you tried to enable DES for something, and you
don't have DES installed on your system. What options did you give
configure?

> Anyone else have a similar experience? How can I fix it. The current
> port at the FreeBSD site is 3.1.3. I've also sent a message to the
> maintainer asking him if there were plans to upgrade the port.

        Fortunately the upgrade to this port is easy. I did the last
modifications to the port, and Bill (the maintainer) was kind enough to
commit my changes. I just tested compiling htdig with the following
changes, although I did not test whether it runs or not since I'm not at
home and I don't want to bring my webserver down.

        You can make the following changes to the port and it will compile:

vi /usr/ports/textproc/htdig/Makefile
        Change:
DISTNAME= htdig-3.1.3
DISTNAME= htdig-3.1.4

        Delete the line that says:
PATCHFILES= htdig-3.1.3-urlparmbug.patch

make fetch
make makesum
make install

Then you're all set.