[htdig] Re: Swiss-Army knife (was Using metatag other ...)

Subject: [htdig] Re: Swiss-Army knife (was Using metatag other ...)
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 08:47:55 PST

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:

> > I'd be happier with htdig developers focussing on making the searches
> > accurate, configurable, and fast - though of course it would be
> > *really* nice if other file management tools (htnotify, et al) were
> > able to be incorporated in the overall package. I only wish that I
> > had the resources to pitch in and help make htdig the ultimate website
> > swiss-army knife...
>
> I like that! If anyone can think of any gadgets they'd like to see in
> this swiss-army knife, whether in htdig or htnotify, then feel free to
> suggest them. I don't think you need to worry about the developers losing
> their focus - that's what feature freezes are for. But good suggestions
> may capture the imagination of other potential developers on the list,
> who may take an idea and run with it. I think htnotify would be a good
> place for a new developer to come on board, because it's a fairly simple,
> non-threatening (and also not so critical) piece of code for someone to
> start with.

I agree with both of you. My particular aim in development is towards
fast, accurate searches and I'm willing to make tradeoffs in that
direction. But that won't stop me from taking contributions towards other
areas. For example, I'm thrilled by the interest in a web-based admin
interface.

I think several people have been working and planning a link-checker based
on ht://Dig. There are also the often-broken Perl scripts too. And after
the 3.2.0b1 release, I'm going to roll a few simple programs (inc.
htnotify) into a group I've been calling "httools."

Contributions are always welcome. ;-)