Re: [htdig] Using metatag other than htdig-notification-date?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Using metatag other than htdig-notification-date?
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 14:28:41 PST

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 9:57 AM -0500 1/19/00, Roel de Cock wrote:
> >Is there any possible way to have htdig/htnotify pick up those names instead
> >of the default ones? My educated guess would be 'replace them all in HTML.cc'
> >but if there is a more elegant solution, I'd be pleased to know.
>
> I don't think there is currently a more elegant solution.

If the tags you're using are also meta tags, but simply with different
names, this is really easy. Just duplicate the existing lines in HTML.cc
that deal with the htdig-specific meta tag names, and edit in your names.
It would be nice if this too were configurable, but we have to draw the
line somewhere.

> >And if I manage to overcome this metatag-problem, how do I get htnotify to use
> >our local dd-mm-yyyy format? Would setting date_format do the job?
>
> I believe so, but it's been ages since I've looked at htnotify.cc.
> There are many "wishlist" items for htnotify, but it's been placed
> far down on the TODO for most of us--if someone wants to fix that, I
> think we'd all appreciate it.

htnotify doesn't use date_format, but it is very flexible in the formats
that are allowed. See http://www.htdig.org/notification.html for details.

> >(I dare barely suggest it, but wouldn't this be a really nice thing to be
> >configurable?)

It already is to some extent. As long as you use numeric dates, it
will try to make sense of them, regardless of order and separators.
Using 4-digit years also gets rid of most ambiguities. For the remaining
ambiguous cases, the iso_8601 option will nudge it one way or the other.
In your case, you'd want iso_8601 enabled for htnotify, so that it would
assume yyyy-mm-dd first, then dd-mm-yyyy next when it sees the 3rd field
is too large for a date.