Re: [htdig] Changing TMP Dir

Subject: Re: [htdig] Changing TMP Dir
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 12:47:13 PST

According to Jeff Hill:
> > > TMPDIR=/tmp
> > > export TMPDIR
> > > /usr/local/htdig/bin/htdig -i -c /usr/local/htdig/conf/hronline.conf -s
> > > /usr/local/htdig/bin/htmerge -c /usr/local/htdig/conf/hronline.conf -s
> >
> > You're setting up the environment variable correctly, but that variable is
> > only used for temporary files (e.g. sort files, files passed to external
> > parsers), and not database files, which are intended to stick around
> > after htdig or htmerge runs. You need to modify database_dir in your
> > hronline.conf file. Or, perhaps you'll want to look into the -a option
> > for htdig and htmerge.
>
> Thank you for your response. Are you saying that you have to
> use the -a option in order for the TMPDIR variable to be
> used?

No, the -a option puts the work files in the same directory. If your
only goal was to avoid clobbering you existing database until htdig
and htmerge finished, this would do the trick. I see now that this is
not the case for you.

> The above script does not make htdig or htmerge use the /tmp
> directory for any temporary files (the partition holding the
> /tmp directory never loses any free disk space nor do any
> files ever show up, even momentarily, in the /tmp directory).

htdig won't use TMPDIR unless you use external parsers. htmerge will
use TMPDIR for sort, so if your db.wordlist is too large to sort in
RAM, sort will create temporary files in TMPDIR.

> I did want the final database files where they were, but I
> need the work files (temporary files) to use /tmp because at
> the height of the dig and merge process nearly twice as much
> room is needed as when the process is completed.

Then you'll need to specify an alternate database_dir during htdig and
htmerge, so your htsearch will have to use a different config file than
htdig/htmerge.