Re: [htdig] Changing TMP Dir

Subject: Re: [htdig] Changing TMP Dir
From: Jeff Hill (jhill@hronline.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 12:35:29 PST

Gilles Detillieux wrote:

>>--snip--<<
> > TMPDIR=/tmp
> > export TMPDIR
> > /usr/local/htdig/bin/htdig -i -c /usr/local/htdig/conf/hronline.conf -s
> > /usr/local/htdig/bin/htmerge -c /usr/local/htdig/conf/hronline.conf -s
>
> You're setting up the environment variable correctly, but that variable is
> only used for temporary files (e.g. sort files, files passed to external
> parsers), and not database files, which are intended to stick around
> after htdig or htmerge runs. You need to modify database_dir in your
> hronline.conf file. Or, perhaps you'll want to look into the -a option
> for htdig and htmerge.

Thank you for your response. Are you saying that you have to
use the -a option in order for the TMPDIR variable to be
used?

The above script does not make htdig or htmerge use the /tmp
directory for any temporary files (the partition holding the
/tmp directory never loses any free disk space nor do any
files ever show up, even momentarily, in the /tmp directory).

I did want the final database files where they were, but I
need the work files (temporary files) to use /tmp because at
the height of the dig and merge process nearly twice as much
room is needed as when the process is completed.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Jeff Hill