Re: [htdig] Changing TMP Dir

Subject: Re: [htdig] Changing TMP Dir
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 11:09:35 PST

According to Jeff Hill:
> I seem unable to specify a directory for htdig to use for its
> files. I've scanned the mailing list and nothing seems wrong
> with my rundig script (which is run by cron):
>
> #!/bin/sh
> umask=022
> rm /usr/local/htdig/db/db.docdb
> rm /usr/local/htdig/db/db.docs.index
> rm /usr/local/htdig/db/db.wordlist
> rm /usr/local/htdig/db/db.words.db
> cd /usr/local/htdig/bin
> TMPDIR=/tmp
> export TMPDIR
> /usr/local/htdig/bin/htdig -i -c /usr/local/htdig/conf/hronline.conf -s
> /usr/local/htdig/bin/htmerge -c /usr/local/htdig/conf/hronline.conf -s
>
> Rather than placing the htdig files in /tmp the files are
> placed in /usr/local/htdig/db, the directory where the final
> merged files are supposed to go. As I understand it from the
> mailing list, one should use "=" and "export" commands when
> using the sh shell in a script run by cron. There are no
> TMPDIR or export commands in my hronline.conf file either.
> Obviously, however, I am making some error.

You're setting up the environment variable correctly, but that variable is
only used for temporary files (e.g. sort files, files passed to external
parsers), and not database files, which are intended to stick around
after htdig or htmerge runs. You need to modify database_dir in your
hronline.conf file. Or, perhaps you'll want to look into the -a option
for htdig and htmerge.