[htdig] Ampersand in URL

Subject: [htdig] Ampersand in URL
From: David Adams (D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 08:58:42 PST

I have found two problems with using htdig where the URL contains an
'&'. I am using htdig version 3.1.2, so perhaps these are fixed problems?

The first is when the URL contains a bare '&' and has to be passed to an
external parser. For example, I get in the htdig log:

6:6:2:http://www.soton.ac.uk/~dja/time&line.ps: sh: line.ps: not found
 size = 70146

The problem does not appear to be in parse_doc.pl.

The second is when a page's author has mistakenly marked up a bare '&' in
the URL as '&'. This is - of course - wrong, and htdig does not
find the page. For example:

11:11:2:http://www.soton.ac.uk/~dja/test&test2.html: not found

However, Netscape Navigator 4.05 (and probably other browsers) fixes
this up and presents a link to http://www.soton.ac.uk/~dja/test&test2.html

I tried setting

translate_amp: true

in the configration file in the vain hope that this would produce a
similar fix.

Is there an alternative to trying to persuade authors that their URLs
are wrong even though they work with the usual browsers?

Thanks.

--

David J Adams
<D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk>