AW: [htdig] Unable to contact server and non-standard extensions

Subject: AW: [htdig] Unable to contact server and non-standard extensions
From: Michael Balzer (
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 01:11:10 PST

hi larry,

i have the same problem. it's not caused by file names or
extensions, my server only contains three different exts.

try raising the number of running servers even further
-- i.e. by not only setting startservers to e.g. 20 but also
minspare and maxspare to appropriate values.
it worked for me with startservers=20 and minspare=20, your
mileage may vary.

i second the -vvv phenomenon -- although i haven't tried with
less server processes again.

also, Christof Roduner [] reported,
that running a tcpdump (e.g. tcpdump -i eth0 ip proto \\icmp)
during the htdig index run also cures the problem.

this all seems to me like there is some kind of timing
problem / race condition in the http get code of htdig.

michael balzer